As cyber security threats continue to multiply,the challenge facing Enterprise Security and DevSecOps is how to reduce the possible attack surface even as businesses continue to rapidly deploy digital applications at a record pace. The most efficient model to achieve this, for business applications, is to shift-security left, that is to bring security considerations earlier in development cycle for inhouse applications, and to insist that SaaS applications from third parties show the proof of doing the same. This is easier said than done with challenges around culture, processes, business priorities on speed, developer availability and budgets. These leaders are looking to achieve the following goals –
- How to shift security and compliance left effectively with minimum impact to feature velocity and developer productivity?
- How to make sure nothing falls through the cracks in the DevSecOps process?
- How to know the current level of security and compliance risk close to real time?
- How to optimize the use of expensive application security tools?
- How do we get more predictive and proactive instead of today’s reactive approaches?
- How to approach supply chain application providers to ensure they are doing the same exercise?
To achieve the above goals these leaders need to enable the following in their organization –
- Improve developer experience in addressing security early in development cycle with a unified, prioritized view of vulnerabilities.
- Get to know near real time security vulnerability risk at the organization, business unit and application level in a consistent tool-agnostic manner.
- Automate validation of security and compliance controls through the software delivery process regardless of variety of tools used across development teams.
- Enable a standardized yet sophisticated DevSecOps automation with minimum developer effort.
- Optimize the total application security tooling spending.
- Perform predictive analysis to proactively identify and remediate security issues.
In the following sections we will see common challenges in achieving these objectives and how Kaiburr’s unified DevSecOps as a Service platform simplifies and accelerates this process in the future model using predictive analysis, policy automation, auto-remediation, unified vulnerability management and low code DevSecOps automation.
Improve developer experience with a unified, prioritized view of vulnerabilities
Agile development teams today face the following challenges around vulnerability management –
- They need to login to multiple tools to view scan results or receive results from Security teams that require interpretation.
- Considerable time is spent in prioritizing the scan results.
- Time spent in identifying and responding on false positives.
- Effort involved in de-duplicating similar issues across various scans.
- Exception management process is not streamlined.
Kaiburr improves developer productivity and simplifies the vulnerability management process by –
- Providing a single pane of glass for developers to view vulnerabilities across scan results performed by various tools. Developers get to see only results relevant to the application components they own.
- Helping developers to prioritize issues with various vulnerability views based on severity, cvss scores and other factors.
- Providing a streamlined mechanism to tag false positives, raise exceptions and get approvals.
- Providing consolidated reports across various scans so developers have a unified view of prioritized issues to be resolved.
- Simplifying the process of reporting and resolving exceptions.
Real time risk visibility at the organization, business unit and application level
Security, Governance, Business and Technology leaders are faced with the following challenges on security risk identification –
- No real time view of current level of security risk based on vulnerabilities at the organization, business unit and application level.
- Not able to drill down from a summary risk view to specific vulnerabilities to be resolved.
- Risk views are not integrated with exception management process.
Kaiburr helps address these challenges by
- Providing a near real time security risk view across scans performed for SAST, DAST, Image Scan, SCA Scan, IAST, Vulnerability Scans / Pen Tests.
- Providing views at organization, business unit and application level for various stake holders.
- Providing drill down capabilities from high level risk views to specific vulnerabilities to be addressed.
- Integrating the risk views with the exception management performed in various ITSM and governance tools.
Security and compliance controls validation across the software delivery process
Security and compliance leaders are faced with the following challenges with controls –
- Security and Compliance controls are validated manually.
- Inability to introduce controls to stop software deployments in production based on controls failures.
- Many control failures are identified after the fact and expand the application attack surface.
- Unable to perform Auto-remediation on control failures.
Kaiburr’s POLICY AS CODE engine enables –
- Automated validation of security and compliance controls for various regulations and standards like SOC2, ISO 27001, HITRUST, PCI, GDPR, FedRAMP, NIST, CIS on the following topics –
- Segregation of Duties
- Access Control
- Change Management
- Data Protection
- Security Testing
- Ability to validate controls real time so deployments can be stopped on critical failures.
- Auto-remediate control failures where possible.
StandardizedDevSecOps automation with minimum developer effort
DevSecOps and engineering leaders are up against the following challenges with shifting security left effectively in their CI-CD process –
- Shifting security left without impacting feature velocity is difficult.
- Enabling sophisticated security testing in the CI-CD process with minimum effect on developer productivity is challenging.
- Standardizing the DevSecOps automation process across various product line teams is hard due to wide variety of developer favored tooling.
- Ensuring necessary security testing is performed with necessary stage gates is difficult.
Kaiburr’s Low Code DevSecOps platform mitigates these challenges by –
- Standardized DevSecOps workflow templates are enabled out of the box with only a few hours of developer effort required to get to a high maturity.
- All the necessary security testing around SAST, DAST, IAST, Secrets Scan, Image / Container Scan, SCA Scan with thresholds and stage gates are pre-built in the workflow templates.
- Organization DevSecOps standards are included in the templates.
- Product (application) teams are able to get to a high degree of DevSecOps maturity and shift security and compliance left effectively without going through an extensive training and implementation process.
Optimize the overall application security tooling spend
Product and security leaders are up against the following challenges on tooling spend –
- Application security tools are expensive.
- Businesses often buy overlapping tools that provide same/similar protection
- Most product (application) teams end up under-utilizing the security tools licensed.
- Right balance between open source and commercial tooling is hard to achieve.
Kaiburr helps to continuously optimize spend on application security tooling by –
- Providing visibility on actual use of tools against available licenses.
- Enabling seamless selection of open source and commercial tooling based on business criticality, security risk, budget constraints.
Perform predictive analysis to proactively identify and remediate security issues
DevSecOps and Security leaders need to achieve the following in their next stage of evolution –
- Predict security incidents.
- Proactively resolve issues.
Kaiburr’s AIOps engine helps organizations to get to be at the cutting edge by –
- Predicting security incidents based on abnormal behaviors in various processes.
- Notifying leaders and relevant stakeholders on these predicted scenarios.
- Auto-remediating based on these predictions without human involvement and effort where possible.
The future of DevSecOps is here and now with Kaiburr. Get started with your free pilot to touch and feel this innovation for your software products and application security tooling by reaching us at email@example.com.